[Qualifier: I am not an EV builder. I have only enjoyed driving the work of
those that do.]

Engineers designing a product have a long-life, reliability goal when they
release specs.
If you dink or tinker around with what a product can do, you will find what
it can not (letting the over heated smoke out, a fire, or it just stops
working like the old filament light bulb).

IMO, I would NOT push past a product's specs. I also strongly suggest you
have the correct amount of heat dissipation cooling (i.e.: the right size
heat sink), for its use, and adjust that amount upward if you are in the
hotter areas of the world.

Both of the following manual .pdf 's say to not connect it to a higher than
80VDC pack:

http://curtisinstruments.com/Uploads/DataSheets/50265_123638E_RevC3.pdf
Models 1236 and 1238  50265 REV C 3/16
(page 4 of 8
model ---- packV 2minA 1hourA
1238E-65XX 48–80 500 190
)

http://www.thunderstruck-ev.com/Manuals/1234_36_38%20Manual%20Rev%20Feb%2009.pdf
1234/36/38 Manual, p/n 37022  17 February 2009   Software version OS 11.0
(page 133 of 134
model ---- packV 2minA 1hourA
1238-65XX 48–80 550 155
)

Because you mentioned you already ordered a few too many li-ion cells, I
suggest you test all the cells, keep the best of the lot that will provide
80VDC, and see if you can return or sell the unneeded ones.

If you do decide to push your pack voltage, remember that additional voltage
and or current beyond a product's design equates to additional power (Watts)
being dissipated on its internal components (if it feels hot on the heat
sink connection, it is really hot at the internal component connection,
etc.).
*Thus be sure to add much more heat sinking and cooling (more metal, and add
cooling fans, etc.) to your EV design configuration.

IMO any wild/out-of-design-spec claims you read on-line, should be suspected
for their posted purpose (to increase sales from its author). Also, look at
the date of the post (old posts may no longer be valid).
I found one that referenced to a seller's claims, see
http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=369814&postcount=13

I recommend you stick with manufacturer's design specifications, for a
reliable EV with a long-life.

For EVLN EV-newswire posts use:
http://evdl.org/evln/

{brucedp.neocities.org}