Hi David, others.
I think the "packing" argument is ignoring one big issue that totally flips the
equation around, in addition to a few other considerations.

Look at popular prismatic cells: there are space-efficient pouches inside, but
the walls of the cells have to be tough and thick
to contain the swelling and pressure that the pouches can exert when charging.
Even in modern modules that use pouches like Leaf batteries, there still is an
aluminum frame around the pouch cells to contain them and on top of that, they
need large and heavy end-plates to clamp down those modules to prevent the
pouches from swelling and damaging the cells.

In cylindrical batteries, not only is the container the minimal surface shape
to contain the cell (for a certain length) but also a thin metal container is
all that is needed to contain the pressure in the cell, since it has the right
shape to bear the forces in itself.
So, the minimal amount of material is needed and it is packed pretty
efficiently.
I am sure someone can do the math and figure out at which wall thickness and
cylinder diameter the cross-over point is that cylindrical is actually *more*
space efficient than prismatic.
Note that empty space between cells is not "lost" if it is used for cooling the
cells, just like prismatic or pouch packs require additional infrastructure for
cooling - or take a gamble without cooling as in the Leaf.

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Email: cwa...@proxim.com    Private: http://www.cvandewater.info
Skype: cor_van_de_water     XoIP: +31877841130
Tel: +1 408 383 7626        Tel: +91 (040)23117400 x203