It's still a waste. Round trip efficiency for splitting water, compressing
it for storage, extracting energy through fuel cell is very low:

from wikipedia
"
Practical electrolysis (using a rotating electrolyser at 15 bar pressure)
may consume 50 kilowatt-hours per kilogram (180 MJ/kg), and a further 15
kilowatt-hours (54 MJ) if the hydrogen is compressed for use in hydrogen
cars.[21] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolysis_of_water#cite_note-21>
"

One kg of hydrogen contains 33kWh of energy, of which the fuel cell can
extract about half.

So you put 65kWh in and got 16kwh out, at best.

I don't know about you, but my roof only has room for so many solar panels
regardless of their cost.

--
www.electric-lemon.com