From: EV <ev-boun...@lists.evdl.org> on behalf of Alan Arrison via EV
<ev@lists.evdl.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 4, 2017 2:41 PM
To: ev@lists.evdl.org
Cc: Alan Arrison
Subject: Re: [EVDL] EVLN: YARA Birkeland zero emission autonomous cargo e-ship
(v)

Where did the electricity come from for the electric drive motors?

It had to be some kind of fossil fuel engine running a generator.

Al

On 10/4/2017 11:20 AM, ROBERT via EV wrote:
> The electrification of ships has a long history.  During WWII, diesel engines
> were in short supply. The US needed tanker ships because a large number were
> sunk by the German U2 boats.  The T2 class tanker was the primary tanker.
> Since diesel engines were in short supply, the US started installing large
> electric propulsion motors.  Even today some of these T2 tankers are still in
> service with the original electric motors.  In the 1980's, I did some design
> work on the electrical control system on the USNS Redstone.  The Redstone was
> a T2 tanker with the original electric motors and drive cubicle.  The ship
> had been extended by 72ft by adding a section in the center.  The Redstone
> was station in FL and monitored launches from Cape Canaveral/Kennedy.  The
> ship was finally decommissioned in the 2000s and cut up for scrap.  The
> electric motors and drive controls were built by GE and as far as I know they
> operated trouble free.  I reviewed the controls for possible replacement;
> however, due to cost it was not done.  In addition, they still worked OK.
> The controls were manually operated and the contractors made a huge noise
> when operating.  To say the least, the electric propulsion system and drive
> was amazing.  Great job for me.
>

> Most if not all ocean going cruise ships have AC/AC drives.  The QE2 was
> converted in the 1980 to AC/AC drives.
>

> ________________________________

[https://cleantechnica.com/files/2017/09/final-design-of-autonomous-all-e-150x150.jpg]<https://cleantechnica.com/2017/09/30/final-design-autonomous-electric-container-vessel-known-yara-birkeland-revealed/>

Final Design Of Autonomous, All-Electric Container Vessel — Yara Birkeland —
Revealed<https://cleantechnica.com/2017/09/30/final-design-autonomous-electric-container-vessel-known-yara-birkeland-revealed/>
cleantechnica.com
The final design of the all-electric, autonomous container ship known as the
Yara Birkeland has now been completed, and testing has commenced at SINTEF
Ocean’s 80 metre test tank facility in Trondheim, Norway. Accompanying this
announcement, the Norwegian government enterprise known as ENOVA revealed that
it will be providing support to the project in the form

> [https://cleantechnica.com/files/2017/09/final-design-of-autonomous-all-e-150x150.jpg]<https://cleantechnica.com/2017/09/30/final-design-autonomous-electric-container-vessel-known-yara-birkeland-revealed/>
>
> Final Design Of Autonomous, All-Electric Container Vessel — Yara Birkeland —
> Revealed<https://cleantechnica.com/2017/09/30/final-design-autonomous-electric-container-vessel-known-yara-birkeland-revealed/>
[https://cleantechnica.com/files/2017/09/final-design-of-autonomous-all-e-150x150.jpg]<https://cleantechnica.com/2017/09/30/final-design-autonomous-electric-container-vessel-known-yara-birkeland-revealed/>

Final Design Of Autonomous, All-Electric Container Vessel — Yara Birkeland —
Revealed<https://cleantechnica.com/2017/09/30/final-design-autonomous-electric-container-vessel-known-yara-birkeland-revealed/>
cleantechnica.com
The final design of the all-electric, autonomous container ship known as the
Yara Birkeland has now been completed, and testing has commenced at SINTEF
Ocean’s 80 metre test tank facility in Trondheim, Norway. Accompanying this
announcement, the Norwegian government enterprise known as ENOVA revealed that
it will be providing support to the project in the form

> cleantechnica.com
> The final design of the all-electric, autonomous container ship known as the
> Yara Birkeland has now been completed, and testing has commenced at SINTEF
> Ocean’s 80 metre test tank facility in Trondheim, Norway. Accompanying this
> announcement, the Norwegian government enterprise known as ENOVA revealed
> that it will be providing support to the project in the form
>

> Final Design Of Autonomous, All-Electric Container Vessel — Yara Birkeland —
> Revealed
> September 30th, 2017  James Ayre
>
> [videos
> https://youtu.be/CK600K1tYUQ
[https://i.ytimg.com/vi/CK600K1tYUQ/maxresdefault.jpg]<https://youtu.be/CK600K1tYUQ>

Testing the YARA Birkeland<https://youtu.be/CK600K1tYUQ>
youtu.be
Model tank testing of the worlds first autonomous zero emission container
feeder.

> [https://i.ytimg.com/vi/CK600K1tYUQ/maxresdefault.jpg]<https://youtu.be/CK600K1tYUQ>
>
> Testing the YARA Birkeland<https://youtu.be/CK600K1tYUQ>
[https://i.ytimg.com/vi/CK600K1tYUQ/maxresdefault.jpg]<https://youtu.be/CK600K1tYUQ>

Testing the YARA Birkeland<https://youtu.be/CK600K1tYUQ>
youtu.be
Model tank testing of the worlds first autonomous zero emission container
feeder.

> youtu.be
> Model tank testing of the worlds first autonomous zero emission container
> feeder.
>

> Testing the YARA Birkeland
>
> https://youtu.be/OdWOAgc79aM
> [https://i.ytimg.com/vi/OdWOAgc79aM/maxresdefault.jpg]<https://youtu.be/OdWOAgc79aM>
>
> Autonomous ship model tank testing<https://youtu.be/OdWOAgc79aM>
[https://i.ytimg.com/vi/OdWOAgc79aM/maxresdefault.jpg]<https://youtu.be/OdWOAgc79aM>

Autonomous ship model tank testing<https://youtu.be/OdWOAgc79aM>
youtu.be
Model tank testing of the worlds first autonomous zero emission container
feeder, the YARA Birkeland.

> [...]
> Model tank testing of the worlds first autonomous zero emission container
> feeder, the YARA Birkeland.
>

> Autonomous ship model tank testing
>
> https://youtu.be/4Ogg4_ge0f8
> [https://i.ytimg.com/vi/4Ogg4_ge0f8/hqdefault.jpg]<https://youtu.be/4Ogg4_ge0f8>
>
> YARA Birkeland zero emission autonomous container
> feeder<https://youtu.be/4Ogg4_ge0f8>
> youtu.be
> The first commercial autonomous vessel in the world, and also the first
> commercial zero ballast vessel. A game changer for the environment and for
> the shippi...
>

> YARA Birkeland zero emission autonomous cargo e-ship
> ]
>
> The final design of the all-electric, autonomous container ship known as the
> Yara Birkeland has now been completed, and testing has commenced at SINTEF
> Ocean’s 80 metre test tank facility in Trondheim, Norway.
>
> Accompanying this announcement, the Norwegian government enterprise known as
> ENOVA revealed that it will be providing support to the project in the form
> of a NOK 133 million ($16.7 million) financial contribution.
>
> While a full-scale version of the new design has yet to be revealed
> (obviously), the recent announcement was accompanied by the reveal of a
> 6-meter long, 2.4-ton model. The ship itself is expected to be delivered and
> to begin testing and operations in early 2019, with fully autonomous
> functioning expected to begin in 2020.
>
> Once in operation, the Yara Birkeland will displace the equivalent of 40,000
> semi truck trips from Yara’s Porsgrunn fertiliser plant in southern Norway
> to the ports of Brevik and Larvik — and will thus curtail substantial
> greenhouse gas emissions.
>
> The press release provides more: “Following the announcement in May, the
> vessel has been designed at Norwegian design and engineering company Marin
> Teknikk. A cutting edge six meter long and 2.4 tons model of the final
> design using technology destined for the real ship, including a fully
> working thruster system from KONGSBERG, will now undergo comprehensive
> testing at SINTEF Ocean before construction of the full-scale vessel starts.
> The decision of where the vessel is to be built will be decided and
> disclosed by the end of 2017.”
>
> The President and CEO of KONGSBERG, Geir Håøy, commented on the news:
> “Initial tests of the model were successful, proving both concept and the
> technology. The testing at SINTEF Ocean marks an important milestone in the
> development. This vessel is important for the entire maritime industry, and
> Yara deserves praise for their initiative and commitment. Yara Birkeland is
> the start of a major contribution to fulfilling national and international
> environmental impact goals, and will be a global milestone for seaborne
> transportation.”
>
> KONGSBERG itself will be providing the Yara Birkeland’s electric drive,
> battery systems, propulsion control systems, and autonomous system sensors.

EVDL EV News Archive - Electric Vehicle Discussion List<http://evdl.org/evln/>
evdl.org
EVLN - EV News Archive Edited by Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter: EVLN: home | help |
archive | news | privacy policy | terms of service

> EVDL EV News Archive - Electric Vehicle Discussion List<http://evdl.org/evln/>
EVDL EV News Archive - Electric Vehicle Discussion List<http://evdl.org/evln/>
evdl.org
EVLN - EV News Archive Edited by Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter: EVLN: home | help |
archive | news | privacy policy | terms of service

> evdl.org
> EVLN - EV News Archive Edited by Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter: EVLN: home | help
> | archive | news | privacy policy | terms of service
>

> {brucedp.neocities.org}
>
> --
> the EVDL! This forum is a web &quot;front end&quot; and archive for an email
> discussion list. If you post here and...

www.evdl.org
About the EVDL: The Electric Vehicle Discussion List, founded in 1991 by EV
enthusiast Clyde Visser, is an active and vital source of information and help
for people ...

> [http://www.evdl.org/images/evdl.jpg]<http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub>
>
> EVDL Subscription Information and
> Help<http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub>
[http://www.evdl.org/images/evdl.jpg]<http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub>

www.evdl.org
About the EVDL: The Electric Vehicle Discussion List, founded in 1991 by EV
enthusiast Clyde Visser, is an active and vital source of information and help
for people ...

> www.evdl.org<http://www.evdl.org>
EVDL - The Electric Vehicle Discussion List<http://www.evdl.org/>
www.evdl.org
The Electric Vehicle Discussion List (EVDL), founded in 1991 by EV enthusiast
Clyde Visser PE, is the Internet's oldest and most comprehensive resource
supporting EV ...

> About the EVDL: The Electric Vehicle Discussion List, founded in 1991 by EV
> enthusiast Clyde Visser, is an active and vital source of information and
> help for people ...

EV -- Electric Vehicle Discussion List - lists.evdl.org
...<http://lists.evdl.org/listinfo.cgi/ev-evdl.org>
lists.evdl.org
The Electric Vehicle Discussion List is a forum for discussing the current
state of the art and future direction of electric vehicles (EVs). We define an
EV as a ...

> EV -- Electric Vehicle Discussion List - lists.evdl.org
> ...<http://lists.evdl.org/listinfo.cgi/ev-evdl.org>
EV -- Electric Vehicle Discussion List - lists.evdl.org
...<http://lists.evdl.org/listinfo.cgi/ev-evdl.org>
lists.evdl.org
The Electric Vehicle Discussion List is a forum for discussing the current
state of the art and future direction of electric vehicles (EVs). We define an
EV as a ...

> lists.evdl.org
> The Electric Vehicle Discussion List is a forum for discussing the current
> state of the art and future direction of electric vehicles (EVs). We define
> an EV as a ...

groups.yahoo.com
/