From: EV <ev-boun...@lists.evdl.org> on behalf of Cor van de Water via EV
<ev@lists.evdl.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 4, 2017 3:56 PM
To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List
Cc: Cor van de Water
Subject: Re: [EVDL] EVLN: YARA Birkeland zero emission autonomous cargo e-ship
(v)

All the documents I can find on electric ship propulsion shows that it was for
efficiency reasons and flexibility,
so the prime mover + generator can be placed anywhere and no long prop shaft is
needed.
Only the last of the 3 docs that I read (the IEEE one) has a short mention of a
war-time reason to go for
electric drive on page 8 about the T2 "Navy Oilers", but it is not the Diesel
Engine, instead it mentions the reduction gearing needed for the
diesel engine as the limiting production level, so switching to electric drive
removed the reduction gear
requirement and thus more ships could be built.
Another (more recent) argument is the full coversion of the ships to electric,
not just its propulsion.
Even the aircraft catapult is converted to electric, so the ship receives a
jolt of power when a plane lands,
comparable to regen braking. It also avoids the piping needed for the
traditionally steam-powered catapult.
Then the use of rail guns make a powerful electric generator required. This is
easy if you already have a
powerful electric propulsion.
Another argument is surviveability.
It is simple to split a primary mover engine in two and place them in different
parts of the ship
or align them differently than traditional. This is not new. Even steam
turbines were repositioned
when they were installed as generators connected to electric drive motors.

http://futureforce.navylive.dodlive.mil/2015/08/electric-ship-propulsion/
The Curious History of Electric Ship
Propulsion<http://futureforce.navylive.dodlive.mil/2015/08/electric-ship-propulsion/>
futureforce.navylive.dodlive.mil
In 1929, USS Lexington (CV 2) used its electric propulsion system to power the
city of Tacoma, Washington, during a local energy crisis. Photo courtesy of
Tacoma ...

https://www.defensemedianetwork.com/stories/going-electric/
[https://www.defensemedianetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/makin-island-web-lr.jpg]<https://www.defensemedianetwork.com/stories/going-electric/>

Going Electric: The History and Future of Naval Electric
...<https://www.defensemedianetwork.com/stories/going-electric/>
www.defensemedianetwork.com
The advantages and disadvantages of electric drive in ships.

http://folk.ntnu.no/torarnj/IEEE_Proceedings_Skjong_2015.pdf
IEEE PROCEEDINGS 2015 1 The Marine Vessel’s Electrical
...<http://folk.ntnu.no/torarnj/IEEE_Proceedings_Skjong_2015.pdf>
folk.ntnu.no
IEEE PROCEEDINGS 2015 1 The Marine Vessel’s Electrical Power System: From its
Birth to Present Day Espen Skjong1 ;2 3, Egil Rødskar , Marta Molinas 1, Tor
Arne ...

Quote from page 8: "At this time the turbo-electric propulsion system
was  not  a  new  invention,  as  all  the  capacity  to  manufacture
reduction gears was committed to supplying the naval fleet, the
use of turbo-electric propulsion was a natural choice resulting
in an average production time from laying the keel to sea trials
to about 70 days"