[ref
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/Tesla-boned-axed-sacked-400-700-employees-engineers-managers-factory-workers-tp4688229.html
(Tesla sacked 400+ employees)
]

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/news/2017/10/24/tesla-employees-protest-mass-firings-at-fremont.html
Tesla employees protest mass firings at Fremont factory
Oct 24, 2017  Jennifer Elias

[images
https://media.bizj.us/view/img/10667230/teslaprotest1*1200xx4032-2268-0-378.jpg
Employees protested Tesla's mass firings, which the company claimed were a
result of routine performance reviews  Former Tesla workers protest at the
company's Fremont facility

https://media.bizj.us/view/img/10667315/tesla3*480xx3024-4032-0-0.jpg
Jonathan Galescu, a Tesla worker, brought his family and told the crowd to
stand up for what they believe in
]

Employees protested Tesla's mass firings, which the company claimed were a
result of routine performance reviews.

Tesla workers and community members rallied Tuesday at Tesla's Fremont
factory claiming employees were unfairly fired in droves.

Employees were seen outside the facility carrying signs that read "Cars
don't build themselves" and "Driving a fair future" one week after a number
of Tesla employees said the dismissal of hundreds of workers were not
performance-related firings but actually layoffs in disguise, a claim the
Palo Alto-based company strongly disputes.

Among the speakers at the rally were Alameda County Supervisor Richard
Valle, Maria Noel Fernandez who works for nonprofit Silicon Valley Rising,
Alameda Labor Council members and former employees. The rally was organized
by the International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace and Agricultural
Implement Workers of America (UAW).

People also rallied inside the showroom of Tesla’s Fremont facility, the UAW
stated in an email to the Silicon Valley Business Journal.

Earlier this month, Tesla confirmed that it had given notice to several
hundred employees, but said it was part of company-wide annual performance
reviews and that it was still hiring for positions. The workers affected by
the cuts were mostly people in administrative and sales positions, the
company said.

Former Tesla employee Mike Williams said he was fired despite his recent
performance reviews stating he was “consistently strong,” according to UAW.
"After working hard for this company for five years, I was fired without any
explanation... I do not believe I was fired for performance."

“Today, we are calling on Tesla, a major employer in our county, to consider
the impact that firing hundreds of people has on our community,” Valle
reportedly told the crowd, according to a UAW press release. “We are
concerned that workers who raised their voices are among those fired, and we
believe they should be reinstated.”

A Tesla spokesperson sent the following response via an emailed statement to
the Silicon Valley Business Journal on Tuesday:

    "At Tesla, we strive to be a fair and just company, the only kind worth
being. No one at Tesla has ever or will ever have any action taken against
them based on their feelings on unionization. Some employees recently left
Tesla, but what has not been reported is that a much larger number — 17% of
our employees — were promoted, and almost half of those promotions were
within our factory in Fremont. We are a company where people can be promoted
as quickly as their talents and work allow. It is not unexpected that union
supporters would protest any decision we make, including this one, and we
respect their right to do so.”

Tesla has 33,000 employees worldwide, including 10,000 at its Fremont
electric car factory. The company is rushing to get its much-anticipated
Model 3 vehicle off the production line.
Jonathan Galescu, a Tesla worker, brought his family and told the crowd to
stand up for what they believe in.
[© 2017 American City Business Journals]

For EVLN EV-newswire posts use:
http://evdl.org/evln/