A more complex answer is manufacturers promote or don't promote towing
abilities as part of market segmentation. In some parts of the world, a vehicle
model is tow rated but in other parts the same vehicle isn't rated. Depending
on local factors this may either encourage or even force people to buy tow
rated vehicles.

Tesla built the Model X on the same platform as the Model S but only offers
factory towing option (and towing related software) for X. The Model 3 is su

Toyota finally added a tow rating to Prius, although people have been towing
light trailers and teardrop campers (<1500 lbs) with them for years (see Prius
Trailers group). In terms of weight ratios, a 1500 lb trailer compares
favorably to a 3300 lb Leaf, 4700 lb Model S, 5200 lb Model X, or 3000 lb Prius.

An experienced driver with a balanced trailer and well secured load, who keeps
speeds and following distances that are in proportion to what is being hauled
will be fine. These drivers know they need to leave extra space to start and
stop. These drivers also account for weather and road and terrain conditions.
Expectations and planning makes a difference. Much less capable vehicles towed
much bigger loads in decades gone past.

Inexperienced drivers probably should not be towing. Otherwise experienced
drivers who haven't towed before should start out with lighter loads and
conditions to build experience with the changes in driving dynamics that towing
causes.