From: EV <ev-boun...@lists.evdl.org> on behalf of Marc de Piolenc via EV
<ev@lists.evdl.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 28, 2017 9:39 PM
To: ev@lists.evdl.org
Cc: Marc de Piolenc
Subject: Re: [EVDL] Solar trailer

You're getting power and energy mixed up.
Your Leaf has a POWER rating of 30 kW, which means that (at full power)
it consumes 30 kW-hours of energy per hour.
It does not get 4.5 miles per kW because a kilowatt is a unit of power,
not energy - maybe 4.5 miles per kWh which is roughly consonant with its
power rating and speed.
To support that speed without dipping into batteries, you need a solar
array that constantly produces 30 kW, which at 20% efficiency, receiving
100 watts per square meter, will require 300/.20 square meters of solar
photovoltaic panels, or 1500 square meters. Not easy to tote around.

It is safe to say that you cannot generate enough juice to recharge
while driving.

On the other hand, having a much smaller array can still allow your car
to recharge while it is parked in the open, and that might be
worthwhile, depending on your application. This would work if you have a
short commute, followed by the car being idle for nine hours or so in
broad daylight in a sunny climate.

Marc de Piolenc

--
Archivale catalog: http://www.archivale.com/catalog
[http://www.archivale.com/catalog/images/header.gif]<http://www.archivale.com/catalog>

Archivale<http://www.archivale.com/catalog>
www.archivale.com
Archivale is your Internet Gateway to Technical Information. Search, or browse
our site by topic to find the information you need, at a price you can afford.

Polymath weblog: http://www.archivale.com/weblog
Translations (ProZ profile): http://www.proz.com/profile/639380
Piolenc - French to English translator. Translation services in Automotive /
Cars & Trucks - aeronautics, propulsion, lighter than air, power, intelligence,
espionage, military, engineering, nuclear, chemical, mechanical,
civil<http://www.proz.com/profile/639380>
www.proz.com
(Translator Profile - Piolenc) Translation services in French to English
(Automotive / Cars & Trucks and other fields.)

Translations (BeWords profile): http://www.bewords.com/Marc-dePiolenc
Ducted fans: http://massflow.archivale.com/
[http://massflow.archivale.com/jh2_2.gif]<http://massflow.archivale.com/>

Mass Flow<http://massflow.archivale.com/>
massflow.archivale.com
Other Ducted Fan and Shrouded Propeller Links [No endorsement by Mass Flow is
implied!] Smitty Hairplane Company (a "baby jet" with auto-engine-driven fan)

About the EVDL: The Electric Vehicle Discussion List, founded in 1991 by EV
enthusiast Clyde Visser, is an active and vital source of information and help
for people ...

EV -- Electric Vehicle Discussion List - lists.evdl.org
...<http://lists.evdl.org/listinfo.cgi/ev-evdl.org>
lists.evdl.org
The Electric Vehicle Discussion List is a forum for discussing the current
state of the art and future direction of electric vehicles (EVs). We define an
EV as a ...

groups.yahoo.com
/