      From: Bill Dube via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
 To: ev@lists.evdl.org
Cc: Bill Dube <billd...@killacycle.com>
 Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2018 2:20 AM
 Subject: [EVDL] Lead battery recycling, Not 98% (was: Delivery truck)

Lee, I think this 98% recycled is a case of very carefully drawing the
envelope. I believe it only accounts for batteries that make it though
the front gate of the recycling facility.

Here is why:

According to the International Lead Association's figures, lead-acid
batteries use 85% of all the lead produced form all sources. (This
percentage goes up a touch with each passing year because lead is used
in fewer other products.)
About 50% of the lead produced is mined, and 50% comes from recycled
lead. This is also directly from the ILA figures.
This ~50% recycled fraction has been quite steady for quite a few years.
https://www.ila-lead.org/lead-facts/lead-recycling

If _none_ of the lead used for other than lead-acid batteries is
recycled but ends up in the land fill, (not true, but bear with me)
where is the remaining 35% of the lead used for lead acid batteries going?

Basically, at _least_ 35% of all lead-acid batteries is _not_ being
recycled. If they were recycled at 98%, there would be at least 83% of
the lead production would be from recycled lead from lead-acid
batteries.  Only 50% comes from recycled lead.

The figures just don't add up. At least 35% of lead-acid batteries are
ending up in the land fill. Just doing basic mass balance accounting
using the ILA figures.

Indeed, an entire EV's worth of batteries is more likely to end up at
the recycler than an alarm battery, but the 98% I believe is "creative
accounting" at best.

Bill D.