Just to keep the record straight: Tesla turns on the monitoring only for test drives. Tesla still is the owner and has every right to monitor the cars it still legally owns. Once the car is sold, you have to give express permission to allow monitoring. The default, once the car is sold, is no position or route monitoring. You have to choose to turn it on.

On the OD2 "dongle" for monitoring, I am in full agreement. Why on earth would you let a third party spy on your driving habits? Makes no sense, but people still allow it. I saw the advertisement and instantly thought of the "big brother" component, and also the solution to the problem.

I would think it would be an interesting exercise to build an intermediate layer of electronics between the dongle and the car (or perhaps simply create an imaginary virtual car to feed messages to the dongle) that would only allow the "good" codes to pass to the dongle, and would block the "bad" codes. Kind of a "little old lady from Pasadena" CAN message filter. No hard braking codes. No high speed codes. Just lovely gentle (perhaps random) driving CAN messages.

Bill D.