On 12 Jun 2018 at 22:21, brucedp5 via EV wrote:

> A hybrid lithium/carbon battery system could offer the best of both worlds "
> long-range continuous driving and long-term power storage thanks to the
> lithium unit, plus ultra-fast partial charging and extreme power output thanks
> to the ultra-capacitor.

Back in 2001 Solectria (RIP) built an experimental EV using a Maxwell
supercapacitor bank to manage peak driving current and regen.  They ran it
through a customized DC:DC talking to the controller over the Canbus, and
claimed a 32% increase in range.

It was just an experiment, though.  Production EVs are expensive already,
and something like that would be tough to do in an affordable vehicle.

> "Most of the energy in regenerative braking is lost as heat, maybe 80
> percent," says Grape. "Perhaps 20 percent is recouped ... "

Yeah, right.  That must be why Axel Krause's trip over the Alps over 20
years ago resulted in almost the same energy consumption he would have had
if he'd driven the same distance in flat terrain.

http://www.evdl.org/pages/evergreen.html

> The electric motors are very efficient at generating that power, but
> the battery just can't accept the charge rate.

Good grief, how hard is he braking?

Every battery I know of can accept regen or charging current at about the
same rate it can deliver driving current, as long as the battery isn't over
80% SOC.

> Imagine simply driving your car over a surface at a charge station,
> paying for a top-up and driving away 10-20 seconds later.

Now imagine how much power that would require from the mains.

Who, me?  Skeptical?

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator