One other thing to remember is that there are now mini-split AC/Heatpumps
that run directly on solar panels.  This allows the DIY person to use LOTS
of solar directly without having to have a grid/tie net meter.

Since many modern mini-split units now have variable speed compressors,
this means internally they run on DC, and that then makes a perfect
marriage to solar.  See:

http://www.hotspotenergy.com/solar-air-conditioner/

Bob