Hi Lawrence,

I am in a similar situation.  I drive 4-5 times a year on a 1100 mile round
trip between Northern California and Southern California.  I drive my RAV4-EV
with an aftermarket CHAdeMO port.  It has an extended range of 125 miles.  Even
driving at 60 mph, I don’t seem to get more than about 110 miles when it is
loaded with a couple of German Shepherds and all of our gear.  I aim for a max
of 100 miles between charging stops and drive along Hwy 101.  The difficult
spot is between Salinas and San Luis Obispo.  You can just make it (I have been
told) if you drive 50 mph with a light foot in good weather.  There are those
that do that.  I spend the night in Paso Robles instead and charge L2 at the
motel overnight.  I am ready for a break by then anyway.  Because you are using
the maximum range each trip, you are having to spend a lot more time charging
in the “taper”, which is a lot slower than the “up to 50 kW” charge rate.
Typically, I have to charge twice for 45-60 minutes, overnight, and then twice
more.

I just got my new Tesla Model 3LR.  It will shave a huge amount of time off of
the drive.  I only have to charge twice on the way down: once for 15 minutes
and once for 20 minutes.  I will not even use the extended range mode.  Because
the charging sessions are short, I will be charging in the sweet spot at 115 kW
(approximately 475 mph).  The Model 3LR has much better mileage than the RAV
(or even the other Teslas) and charges quicker as well.  I can drive on I-5, a
shorter route and drive at 70 mph instead of 55-60.  I will probably stop more
than twice just to stretch our legs, have something to eat and drink, and use
the facilities.  As much as I like the RAV and it’s carrying capacity, the
Model 3 will work out much better for the longer trips.

John
---
John G. Blair
Occidental, California