Sorry, I can't agree. To me, this plays just like the usual anti-EV, anti-
government, anti-anything-that-slightly-diminishes-my-profits propaganda
that the deregulation fanatics constantly spout.

I'm no fan of Elon Musk, but I can't deny that he's something exceedingly
rare in the corporate world: he actually has a few goals that don't focus on
making as much money as possible in the least amount of time.

But in general, businesses don't do what's good for all of us.  Often they
don't even do what's good for themselves in the long run.  We as a society
have bought into the idea that business's only responsibility is the
quarterly bottom line, and making dividends for shareholders.

That's only gotten worse in the last 4 decades of politicians chanting
"Greed is good," "It's your money," and "Government is the problem."

Since the only thing that business and people understand is money, the only
way to get them to do what's right is to PAY them for it.

That's what properly designed subsides do.

For an example of how to do that right, look at Norway's EV subsidies.  For
an example of how to do it wrong, look at the US's petroleum subsidies and
tax credits.

As long as we're gushing out corporate welfare to the oil companies, I don't
see why we shouldn't trickle out a little cash to people in EV subsidies, to
help counter some of the massive damage that oil does to our world.

I'm not saying that subsidies and other incentives are perfect answers every
time.  Sometimes they have unintended consequences.  Grifters and sharpsters
will always find the loopholes legislators leave in.  But that doesn't mean
we shouldn't ever try to make things better by using them.

The "invisible hand" the libertarians like to talk about can also be a fist,
crushing people and the environment in its blind pursuit of maximum profit
at any cost.  That's why we'll always need governments and legislation.

We wouldn't be where we are with EVs worldwide, if not for the subsidies.
There may come a day when we can ease off and phase them out, but that time
isn't here yet.  Don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator