If youi've been on the EVDL for a while, you probably remember reading posts
by Roland Wiench.  He gave us a lot of them -- over 4,100.  His first post,
about LRR tires, seems to have been in November of 2003.  He posted several
times in late 2016 and early 2017, then one last time in May of 2017.

You can read many of his posts in the archive.  He's also quoted in an EVDL
library article, http://www.evdl.org/pages/battpost.html

I realized recently that I hadn't read anything from him in quite a while,
so I did some investigation.  I'm sad to report that Roland passed away on
the 16th of March this year.  The obituary is quoted below.

Roland got his El Camino conversion from Robert Aronson's Electric Fuel
Propulsion in Michigan.  Aronson is probably best remembered for his Renault-
based Mars I and Mars II conversions (Dauphines and R10s), every nook and
cranny jammed with lead batteries, but he converted several large American
cars too.

Roland never stopped improving and refining that El Camino, which at one
time weighed over 3.5 tons.  Recently, he'd fitted it with Leaf modules,
which must have significantly reduced the weight.

You can see the car before the Leaf module conversion here:

http://evalbum.com/470

-----

https://www.croxfordfuneralhome.com/notices/Roland-Wiench

Roland Eugene Wiench
September 4, 1936 ~ March 16, 2018 (age 81)

Born on Sept. 4, 1936 on Friday at 11:45 AM, I came out facing North in
Dickinson, North Dakota, in the hospital 400 feet from our home. Made it
home for lunch at 12 noon.

My father, an electrical engineer, took me down to his electrical laboratory
(I called it a dungeon). At the age of 8, he taught me basic electricity. My
first project was a dog repellant that was placed in the garden. As a dog
came into the garden, I turned on a switch that tickled his feet at a real
low voltage. The dog stood up on his two back feet and tiptoed through the
tulips, dancing the jitterbug. Later, I made an overhead electrical trolley
using an erector set with the clotheslines as the conductors. I forgot to
turn off the power and the laundry lady did the jitterbug too.

I attended St. PatrickĀ“s grade school and Assumption Abbey high school in
North Dakota. I also attended the College of Great Falls, Montana.

I enlisted in the Navy in 1955 as flight, radar controller, and navigator
for carriers in the Atlantic. After studying aviation electronics
engineering, I worked for Boeing Aircraft in Great Falls. Meanwhile I was
employed as an electrical technician, then electrical supervisor at MANG
(Montana Air National Guard).

After serving in The Navy, USAF, and MANG I was honorably discharged as
Master Sergeant in 1989.

In 1976 I received a grant and a prototype electric car from Electric Fuel
Propulsion of Troy, Michigan. Since 1989 I have worked on the science of
improvement of the electrical vehicle.

=====

While Roland remained a bachelor, many nieces and nephews survive. To some
he was an Uncle and to others, because he lived with us during our
childhood, Roland was an Uncle-Brother. Roland was predeceased by parents
Frank and Clementine Wiench; brothers and their wives: Francis (Marilyn)
Wiench and Alcuin (Annie) Wiench; sisters and their husbands: Bernice (Paul)
Wilhelm and Beatrice Hall.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator