https://ecowarriorprincess.net/2018/10/new-generation-nissan-leaf-one-of-the-cheapest-electric-vehicles-heads-to-australia/
New Generation Nissan LEAF, One of the World’s Cheapest Electric Vehicles,
Heads to Australia
October 7, 2018  Jennifer Nini

[images
https://ecowarriorprincess.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/New-Generation-Nissan-LEAF-One-of-the-Cheapest-Electric-Vehicles-Arriving-in-Australia-860x573.jpg
New Generation Nissan LEAF, One of the World’s Cheapest Electric Vehicles,
Heads to Australia

https://ecowarriorprincess.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/New-Generation-Nissan-LEAF-One-of-the-Cheapest-Electric-Vehicles-Heads-to-Australia.jpg

https://ecowarriorprincess.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/New-Gen-Nissan-LEAF-One-of-the-Cheapest-Electric-Vehicles-Heads-to-Australia.jpg

https://ecowarriorprincess.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/New-Generation-Nissan-LEAF-One-of-the-Cheapest-Electric-Vehicles-Heading-to-Australia.jpg

https://ecowarriorprincess.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/New-Generation-Nissan-LEAF-One-of-the-Cheapest-Electric-Vehicles-to-Arrive-in-Australia.jpg

https://ecowarriorprincess.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/New-Generation-Nissan-LEAF-One-of-the-Cheapest-Electric-Vehicles-Coming-to-Australia.jpg
Celebrity host Osher Günsberg is a Nissan LEAF enthusiast, owning three, his
first back in 2011.

https://ecowarriorprincess.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Nissan-LEAF-One-of-the-Worlds-Cheapest-Electric-Vehicles-Heading-to-Australia.jpg

https://ecowarriorprincess.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/2nd-Gen-Nissan-LEAF-One-of-the-Cheapest-Electric-Vehicles-Heads-to-Australia.jpg
2nd Gen Nissan LEAF, One of the Cheapest Electric Vehicles, Heads to
Australia

https://ecowarriorprincess.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Nissan-LEAF-One-of-the-Worlds-Cheapest-Electric-Vehicles-Heads-to-Australia.jpg
]

Sydney, Australia: The second generation all-electric Nissan LEAF was
launched in Sydney on October 4 heralding Australia’s new era of mass
electrification.

Nissan has sold 360,000 units, making the LEAF the world’s best-selling and
most popular electric vehicle (EV). However, Australian EV sales have been
sluggish compared to United States and Europe given the lack of funding in
EV infrastructure and legislation to encourage consumption of low-carbon
emitting vehicles.

This is set to change with increased awareness of sustainability issues and
consumer education into the environmental and economic benefits of EV
ownership. According to a commissioned study, 63 percent feel that the move
to EVs is inevitable, with 29 percent considering buying one.

Nissan is prepared, rolling out a strategy that will capitalise on the
trends. It will have the largest EV sales network in the country. Its EV is
sold at 89 dealerships and will be supported by Nissan’s preferred charger
installer JET Charge that will enable customers to custom fit their homes
with EV charging equipment nationwide. This is a far cry from the 12
dealerships when the LEAF was first introduced to the Australian market in
2012.

“Electrified vehicles will represent a third of Nissan volume in Australia
during our mid-term plan,” said Nissan Australia Managing Director, Stephen
Lester. “By introducing more electric alternatives on several of our key
models, we will make mass market electrification a reality. I have no doubt
electric vehicles will be a success here, and sooner than many think, and
Nissan is planning for this now to ensure we meet the future needs of the
buyer.

“But strong electric vehicle policy is also important. Countries with higher
electric vehicle take up have more charging points and offer tax cuts, toll
discounts, parking concessions and more to inspire consideration and
purchase.”

Addressing range anxiety is key to customer buy-in. To overcome this barrier
to EV ownership, Nissan has installed a larger, more powerful 40kWh battery
pack so that drivers can stay on the road for longer without the need for
daily recharging. Drivers can expect to travel up to 270 kilometres on a
single charge.

“A study by Zero Carbon Australia tells us that, on average, city-based
drivers have a 38-kilometre daily commute, so daily re-charging is not
necessary,”  said Lester. “Also, with a conscious mindset of overnight
charging well in place thanks to mobile phones, most Australians are
unlikely to have range issues.”

Charging times may range from an hour to 24 hours depending on charging
connection, charger type and condition and battery temperature.

The new LEAF has a contemporary design, has an eight-inch touchscreen
display, push-start button and room for five adults. It also features a
range of Nissan Intelligent Mobility active safety technologies such as
360-degree Intelligent Around-View Monitor, High Beam Assist, Intelligent
Cruise Control, Intelligent Emergency Braking and Intelligent Lane
Intervention. Its e-Pedal also impresses, allowing drivers to start,
accelerate, decelerate, stop and hold the car with just the accelerator
pedal alone – without needing to use the brake pedal.

Author, podcaster, Network TEN host of The Bachelor and Nissan LEAF owner,
Osher Günsberg, is a LEAF enthusiast and early adopter of EVs driving a LEAF
before it was even released in Australia in 2012. Günsberg has owned three
of them since 2011, including two while living and working in Los Angeles.

“My brother worked for the auto industry – we all have that one person we
call when we’re buying our next car – and I call him and he says, mate are
you kidding? Get a LEAF,” shares Günsberg.

Passionate about clean, environmentally-friendly living, Günsberg – who has
been eating a plant-based diet since 2002 – road-tested his first electric
vehicle back in 2009. His decision to get a LEAF was based on a number of
factors; that the EV was produced by a mainstream company with engineering
pedigree with huge service infrastructure; its strong driving performance,
affordability, and environmental benefits.

“Driving the new Nissan LEAF was incredible,” said Osher Günsberg. “This is
the fourth version of Nissan LEAF that I’ve driven, so I am well aware of
the package, but the developments on this are amazing.”

“What’s incredible is that the battery pack is the same size battery pack as
the one in my car. In the same size, my car has 24kWh battery and this (new
generation LEAF) has a 40kWh battery. In less than five years, look at how
much energy density they have packed into that battery size. What’s going to
be five years from now? What’s going to be three years from now?

“The amount of battery power you’ll be able to carry around in a vehicle
will make the electrification of the majority of passenger fleet vehicles in
Australia so inevitable.”

To Günsberg, it is clear that the electrification of ground transport is the
future and given his passion for sustainability, he is keen to do everything
he can to support Australia’s move to a low carbon future.

“I also want government to commit to the infrastructure to support this and
for more people to get behind LEAF and electrification. As far as air
quality goes it’s the right choice for the community. As far as noise
pollution goes it’s the right choice for the community. I’ve been overseas
and seen the extraordinary EV infrastructure and it’s not hard to do.”

Given his enthusiasm for the LEAF, Günsberg was the perfect person to play
host at the Nissan LEAF launch at Carriageworks in Sydney.

“It’s rare to find someone with a profile who is so believing of a product
and is desperate to align themselves with it,” said Lester.

“Osher’s passion for Nissan LEAF and electric vehicles is obvious, as too is
his desire to not only influence government infrastructure policy and
support, but to inspire more Australians to consider this product, is
commendable. I didn’t think we could find someone that is more excited about
LEAF then we were, but we did in Osher.”

Nissan hasn’t revealed local pricing for the new generation LEAF just yet.
It will be announced when the car is released in mid-2019. Customers in the
US pay $29,990, equivalent of $42,000 Australian dollars. Currently, the EV
market is inaccessible to most Australians, with a starting price for a
Tesla Model S at over $100,000 and BMW i3 at roughly $69,000.

The new generation Nissan LEAF is expected to be one of the most affordable
electric vehicles on the market when it arrives in Australia next year.

For more information, visit nissanleaf.com.au.
Disclosure: Eco Warrior Princess attended the event on invitation and Nissan
covered flights and accommodation. For further information about our
policies, click here. All images courtesy of Nissan.
[© ecowarriorprincess.net]

For EVLN EV-newswire posts use:
 http://evdl.org/archive/

{brucedp.neocities.org}