I bought my i-MiEV used and it only came with one original key.  That
wasn't going to be enough, so I took the OEM key to a locksmith and he was
able to clone it.  I don't remember, but I think it only cost like $50 -
$100.  ILCO makes the blanks and read/write equipment, and it seems to be
pretty commonly available.  Check with your locksmith to make sure.  The
clone has no buttons on it, but it talks to the ignition switch just fine.
I like it that way, since I'm apparently one of the 3 people left who
actually carries my keys in my pocket t all times. That's a problem with
the full-zoot keys/fobs, because getting jumbled in a pocket with stooping,
standing, leaning against stuff, etc. gets their buttons pushed and drains
the batteries.  Turns out unlocking the door manually (gasp!) isn't really
the inconvenience some think it is.

Chris