Lee Wrote:

“It only works if you get every single detail right. That's expensive. You
can afford it for luxury cars where there is enough money to do it right.
But I have serious doubts that it can be scaled to mass-produce cheap EVs.
They'll get beat by the first company to figure out the best way to use far
smaller numbers of much bigger cells.

Complex solutions always come first. Simple solutions take longer to
perfect; but usually win out in the end.”

Exactly Lee! So probably the real reason I won’t buy a Tesla is I can’t
afford one (because of the thousands of itty bitty cells that make it
expensive to manufacturer).  I’m still concerned about the long term
reliability and business model of a lower cost (aprox $30K) car that can’t
afford to have “Tesla Rangers” field service guys running out to your house
when the battery burps – like they do now on the high priced Teslas to cover
up the issues.  As far as I know they haven’t shipped any lower priced Tesla
3’s and would be surprised if they could turn a profit *without going to
large format cells like all other EV manufacturers*.  Not sure if Elon
Musk’s Ego will let him  make that change though, like Edison with DC who
had to be forced out of GE (When Tesla had a better idea with AC) Déjà Vu

Mark

Message: 6