------ Original Message ------
From: "JoeS. via EV" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
To: ev@lists.evdl.org
Cc: "JoeS." <siudzin...@telis.org>
Sent: 10-Nov-18 9:10:35 AM
Subject: Re: [EVDL] ?Is this an EV or Watt?: ?Is it a Volt, Bolt, Prius?> crashed in Canby-OR

/Chris wrote: I'm an electrical dolt, but I thought there is no danger in
handling an EV
in water because there is no potential relative to ground.  Even if
isolation has been compromised and the body is hot, it would be hard to get
two parts of the body at different potentials./
I think the issue is ensuring a body doesn't complete the circuit between the two battery poles. That is, if you were to cut some cables, who knows what route the current would take. It could injure the aid workers or the occupants.

For that very reason I've always been mystified how someone swimming in a
pool not touching anything could be electrocuted...
This case is different since the power to the lighting or other electrical equipment is *not* floating. It is relative to ground.

-----
Joe Siudzinski