https://evbite.com/fisker-plans-an-electric-convertible-car/
Fisker Plans an Electric Convertible Car
January 14, 2019  Jack

[images
https://i2.wp.com/evbite.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Fisker-Karma-Sunset.jpg

https://i2.wp.com/evbite.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/emotion-38.jpg

https://i0.wp.com/evbite.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Fisker-Emotion-Solid-State-Battery-Pack.jpg

video
https://youtu.be/50TbbgsEw9E
Fisker Inc.  Henrik Fisker walk around Fisker EMotion

share
https://twitter.com/henrikfisker/status/1084668880876908544
]

If the name Fisker rings a bell, it should. Henrik Fisker was the notorious
designer behind iconic cars such as the BMW Z8 and Aston Martin DB9. After
decades of designing dream cars for others, he finally made his own. The
Fisker Karma was the first premium plug-in hybrid on the market. Sadly,
Fisker Automotive had to file bankruptcy when their sole battery supplier,
A123 Systems, went broke. Now just a few years later, Fisker is back in the
news with an upcoming all-electric luxury car, an autonomous shuttle, an
affordable mass market vehicle, innovating with solid state batteries, and
now teasing the possibility of a future electric convertible car.

The setback obviously didn’t stop the entrepreneur as Henrik reopened doors
in 2016 under Fisker, Inc. This time labeled as an e-mobility company with
bigger plans than ever. They once again made waves and drew attention back
into the EV world with the unveil of the all-electric Fisker Emotion concept
[
https://cleantechnica.com/2018/01/10/fisker-e-motion-revealed-ces-2018/
] at CES in 2018.

    “We see ourselves as an e-mobility and technology company. We don’t see
ourselves as a car company.”

Its specs were just as impressive as its design and luxury. Boasting a 400
mile range, 3 second 0-60, 161 mph top speed, and level 4 autonomy, it was
the only electric car worth keeping an eye on at the time. The Emotion was
originally set to go into production this year but things quickly changed as
the picture grew larger.

Having dubbed themselves an “e-mobility and technology company”, they set
course on the advancement of autonomous electric shuttles and development of
solid state batteries.

The Fisker Orbit, their autonomous electric shuttle, is set to begin testing
on a corporate campus later this year. Its intention is to provide a fully
autonomous shuttle service on private properties such as colleges, corporate
campuses, parks, airports, ect.

Fisker Orbit Interior

More important to the future of mass market EVs is Fisker’s work on
developing a solid state battery. A solid state battery will have greater
energy densities, provide more range, more stability, and could cut
manufacturing costs. The company claims it has produced a cell with
densities of 500 watt-hours per kilogram which is roughly twice as dense as
the best batteries currently on the market. Fisker seeks to make batteries
eventually costs $75-$100 per kilowatt hour.

Fisker Emotion Solid State Battery Pack

With an undisclosed investment from Caterpillar, a Fortune 100 company,
Fisker has been focusing intensely on the development of their solid state
battery and upcoming mass market electric car. After development, Fisker
will off source manufacturing of the batteries and focus on vehicle
production and e-mobility solutions.

An unnamed $40,000 mass produced electric Fisker is set to enter the market
in 2021. The Fisker Emotion was quickly delayed until the use of solid state
batteries becomes feasible. It will be released soon after the high volume
car or possibly alongside it which has become untraditional. Typically, new
electric car manufactures release their highest tiered model upfront and
slowly work their way down in status and pricing.

    “We don’t have to prove we can make a luxury car, we already did that
with the Fisker Karma.”

As you can see, Fisker definitely has a lot on their plate and they’re just
beginning. It’s too early to start predicting volumes but Fisker’s end goal
would be in the hundreds of thousands of electric cars built annually. With
a master plan that ambitious comes a long list of models.

We’ve heard about the Emotion in the luxury segment and the unnamed $40,000
Fisker being their entry level car and debut into the mass market but apart
from that, Fisker has been silent with their future electric car plans. But
with a single tweet, we got a glimpse of what Fisker has in store for us.

Convertibles are nothing new to Henrik Fisker having designed them in the
past. The BMW Z8, Aston Martin DB9, Aston Martin Vantage, and VLF Force 1
V10 Roadster are all convertibles designed by Henrik himself. Their designs
respectively hold up to their brands rather than the Fisker name but looking
at another car we can get a general idea of what a Fisker electric
convertible car might look like.

Fisker Electric Convertible Car

The Fisker Karma S “Sunset” was based on the original 2012 Karma. It was
scheduled for a 2013 release before the company went under. Fisker also had
plans for a shooting brake dubbed the Fisker Surf.

Rather than let these ideas die, we can only imagine that similar models
will eventually be released under the new Fisker, Inc. But that’s just
speculations. If not, something better. Regardless, Fisker’s designs are
some of the greatest and I’m happy to see anything that comes from them.
Alongside their shuttle service, solid state battery development, and entry
into the mass market, we will be hearing more about Fisker and their
projects for years to come as the place themselves as one of the leading
companies driving our future forward.
[© evbite.com]

+
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2018/01/08/fiskers-first-all-electric-car-takes-tesla-exclusive-details/1009492001/
Fisker's first all-electric car takes on Tesla: Exclusive details
Jan 8, 2018 - The auto designer, whose Fisker Karma fizzled, is presenting
his new ... by a Chinese auto parts company, which has relaunched the
plug-in ...
https://www.gannett-cdn.com/media/2018/01/05/USATODAY/USATODAY/636507797929921448-em1.jpg

For EVLN EV-newswire posts use:
 http://evdl.org/archive/