It is worth remembering that Musk did graduate work on ultra-capacitors and
has always believed they are worth more development. Musk has spent a lot
of time with ultra-capacitors and is well educated and experienced to
evaluate them.

Virus-free.
www.avg.com
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 10:50 PM brucedp5 via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> [...]
> shares a common goal of building a more sustainable future. We believe this
> transaction is in the best interests of Maxwell stockholders and offers
> investors the opportunity to participate in Tesla’s mission of accelerating
> the advent of sustainable transport and energy.” ...
>
> The company is based in San Diego and it has about 380 employees.
>
> Maxwell had been talking about a potential “strategic partnership” in the
> works for a few months regarding its dry electrode technology.
>
> Aside from the new technology, the company also has its ultracapacitor
> business. They reported $91 million in revenue during the first 9 months of
> 2018 ...
>
> Electrek’s Take
>
> Tesla CEO Elon Musk first moved to California in the 90s in order to do a
> PhD on ultracapacitors, but he quickly stopped to start an internet
> company.
>
> The technology has never been adopted by electric vehicle manufacturers who
> favored Li-ion batteries.
>
> But Tesla’s acquisition of Maxwell might have little to do with
> ultracapacitors.
>
> The automaker might be more interested with Maxwell’s dry electrode
> technology that they have been hyping recently.
>
> Maxwell claims that its electrode enables an energy density of over 300
> Wh/kg in current demonstration cells and they see a path to over 500 Wh/kg.
>
> This would represent a significant improvement over current battery cells
> used by Tesla and enable longer range or lighter weight, but that’s not
> even
> the most attractive benefit of Maxwell’s dry electrode.
>
> They claim that it should simplify the manufacturing process and result in
> “10 to 20% cost reduction versus state-of-the-art wet electrodes” while
> “extending battery Life up to a factor of 2.”
>
> I think this is really exciting.
>
> Many companies have been making similar claims about batteries. Tesla,
> specifically Elon and JB, have often complained that they couldn’t verify
> those claims.
>
> If Tesla is willing to pay $200 million for Maxwell, I have to assume that
> they verified the claims and they believe the technology is applicable to
> their batteries.
> [© electrek.co]
>

> https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/04/tesla-to-but-maxwell-technologies-for-4point75-a-share.html
> Tesla to buy energy tech company Maxwell Technologies for about $218
> million
> 4 Feb 2019  Tesla CEO Elon Musk is a fan of the technology for electric
> cars. Musk has ... "As TSLA works toward lowering EV prices to expand its
> addressable market while ...
>

> +
> https://insideevs.com/new-battery-cell-patented-by-tesla/
> New Battery Cell Patented By Tesla: Faster Charging, Lower Cost
> FEB 5 2019  But, the new patent filed by the Tesla battery research group,
> describes how the new battery technology could be useful ...

Michael E. Ross
(919) 585-6737 Land
(919) 901-2805 Cell and Text
(919) 576-0824 <https://www.google.com/voice/b/0?pli=1#phones> Tablet,