Quoting Jay Summet via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>:

The wind generator may (in higher wind speeds) be able to produce a voltage high enough to charge the 48 volt battery.

The wire size shouldn't be an issue, as at 48 volts the wire will see less current than at 32 volts.

I was thinking that might be the case.

It is likely your wind generator has a piece of electronics or charge controller associated with it that takes the AC power the generator makes and converts it to DC output to charge a battery. You will likely need to modify or replace this piece to successfully charge a 48 volt battery.

I tried to put as much system information as I could into my question as I could however,  "vintage Jacobs" needs more explanation. This generator was made in about 1948, is DC(commutator), no electronics or gears(mechanical governor), direct drive, I understand, the transistor came about in 1947.

[Perhaps the 32 volt from the wind generator is AC, and a rectifier/charger was used to step that down to 24 or 14 volt charging?]

Jerry Lilyerd at Sun Energy likes the 48 volt OutBack inverter for its ease in field service and its sine wave output.  I believe they have a long history that is built on the work of others. That is the reason I want to go 48 Volts. We like our custom built 120 Volt inverter but the Tesla wants a sine wave.

Even if the voltage output of the generator is too low to directly charge the battery, you can purchase a "step up" converter that can take 12-24 volts and step it up to the 48-55 volts needed to charge a 48v battery. (But will lose some power in the conversion process.)

Yes, I will look into purchase of a "step up" converter. Thanks much...Ron

Jay