GM is still around
Chrysler is still around (albeit as part of Fiat)
Tesla lost $5.79 per share over the last four quarters, or about a billion
dollars.
Uber and Lyft are each still around despite the fact that they each also
lose about a billion dollars per year.

Honestly I have a hard time comprehending what could be so bad that it
could take Tesla down.  Their single biggest asset isn't the gigafactories
or the supercharger network; it's the Tesla brand, which is extremely
strong.

= - = - =

In any case, there was a much stronger case against Tesla in 2008.  Their
only car, the Roadster, had been delayed for more than a year, and Tesla
was trying to sell 2-seater electric vehicles at a cost of $100,000 each at
the same time the "Great Recession" was hitting.  This was before they had
a supercharger network; heck it was before they had cars that could
supercharge.  Most of their funding came from one guy: Elon Musk, and he
was going broke in part because he was also trying to start a rocket
company which was competing, not with other companies, but with other
*nations*.

Many, many people who were looking into the details of all this were
thinking amongst themselves, wow, this is going to be one of the most
spectacular failures ever.  *But damn, this is a really fun car to drive*.

I was one of those people.  I look at Tesla and I wonder, how the hell can
this possibly turn out well?  After 10 years, I still won't bet on Tesla as
a company... but I sure as hell don't bet against them. I just mentally put
Tesla in a class of companies where the rules, for whatever reason, don't
apply.   It's like seeing an Anvil outside of my third-floor window, just
floating there.  I know it should fall, but it's been 10 years and it
hasn't.  Unlike a floating Anvil, the case for Tesla's survival is much
better now than it was 10 or even 5 years ago.

There are other companies where revenues are going up but profits are not,
and maybe they give a better feel for what the hell is going in with
Tesla:
https://www.ben-evans.com/benedictevans/2014/9/4/why-amazon-has-no-profits-and-why-it-works
(Note that article is from 2014, when Amazon, then 20 years old, still
hand't turned a decent profit.)

= - = - =