https://electrek.co/2019/05/26/tesla-start-selling-standard-range-model-3-locked-features/
Tesla starts delivering ‘Standard Range’ Model 3 at ~$35,000 with locked
features
May. 26th 2019  Fred Lambert

[images
https://i0.wp.com/electrek.co/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2019/05/TEsla-Model-3-Standard-Range-hero-1.jpeg

https://electrek.co/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2019/05/Tesla-Model-3-Standard-Range-first-software.jpeg

https://i2.wp.com/electrek.co/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2019/05/IMG_4556.jpeg

https://i1.wp.com/electrek.co/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2019/05/IMG_3929.jpeg

https://i1.wp.com/electrek.co/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2019/05/IMG_2014.jpeg

https://i1.wp.com/electrek.co/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2019/05/IMG_3103.jpeg

https://i0.wp.com/electrek.co/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2019/05/IMG_0373-2.jpeg

https://i2.wp.com/electrek.co/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2019/05/IMG_7369.jpeg

https://electrek.co/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2019/05/IMG_3096.jpeg
]

A few months after starting to sell its long-promised ~$35,000 base Model 3,
Tesla had yet to actually deliver the vehicles with the listed
configuration.

Now it looks like Tesla is starting to deliver the ‘Standard Range’ (SR)
Model 3 with software-locked features.

In February, Tesla launched its base Model 3 for $35,000 [
https://electrek.co/2019/02/28/tesla-model-3-standard-battery-interior/
] – something that the company had been promising for years.

But things got increasingly complicated after the launch as Tesla removed
the configuration from its website and made it more difficult to order the
vehicle just a month later.

Furthermore, the vehicle was only sold as a software-locked version of the
‘Standard Range Plus’ (SR+) Model 3.

Tesla explained:

    “Its range will be limited by 10%, and several features will be disabled
via software (including our onboard music streaming service, navigation with
live traffic visualization, and heated seats).

When it comes to the actual hardware, the two versions of the vehicle, which
now start at $35,400 and $39,900, are identical.

The automaker started to deliver Model 3’s to people who bought the Standard
Range last month, but we checked with a few owners and they all report still
having access to all the same features as the ‘Standard Range Plus’ to this
day.

It appeared that Tesla didn’t release a software update for the Standard
Range until now.

For the first time, we learn of Tesla delivering new cars with Standard
Range software-locked features (hat tip to Marc Benton).

John Rougeux told Electrek that he picked up his Model 3 at Tesla Nashville
Saturday and it was delivered as a Standard Range:

The vehicle is limited to 220 miles of range and as far as we know, it’s the
first Model 3 delivered with the limitation.

Rougeux’s VIN is in the 297,000s and he told Electrek that it was built in
March.

Based on the process to acquire the vehicle, it appears that Tesla had a SR+
Model 3 inventory that they updated to a SR before delivery:

    I noticed via Tesla online that Columbus had one. I called, and was told
that no, they didn’t have it. He called me back and said that Indy had a
fleet car that wasn’t ever used and could be sold. I put the deposit down on
it this past Wednesday, May 22nd. Then the next day I found out it was in
Nashville instead. Friday at 6pm, I was told the total due and it was the
price of a Standard Range Plus, with Autopilot. I told her that I wanted the
SR, not the +, which she told me that NOBODY has the Standard Range and that
the Standard Range Plus would NOT be downgraded. After a few phone calls,
she called back and apologized, saying that I was right. I went today
(Saturday, May 25th) and picked up the car at 11am eastern time.

The entire hardware of the vehicle is exactly the same as the Standard Range
Plus, including things like the seats and center console, which were
originally supposed to be different:

But unlike previous buyers of Standard Range Model 3 vehicles, Rougeux’s
Model 3 has software-locked features.

For example, while the seats are all equipped with heating elements, only
the front seats can be heated.

The range is limited to 220 miles. The vehicle doesn’t have live maps and
fog lights enabled:

All of Tesla’s vehicles except for the Standard Range Model 3 come with
Autopilot as a standard feature.

Rougeux’s Model 3 doesn’t have the base Autopilot package:

Interestingly, Standard Range Model 3 vehicles are not supposed to have the
‘Immersive Sound’, but it is enabled on Rougeux’s Model 3:

Tesla says that they will let Standard Range Model 3 owners upgrade to
Standard Range Plus features and vice-versa.
Electrek’s Take

It doesn’t look like it was a priority for Tesla to write the new version of
the software with the features disabled, especially since they have been
pushing hard for people to buy the SR+ anyway.

At the same time, it’s probably smart for Tesla to give SR owners access to
those features for a while before taking them away.

It might help push them to decide to upgrade after getting used to those
features.

With the SR and LR RWD versions being off-the-menu items, I’m very curious
to know the entire mix of Model 3 vehicles.

It’s clear that Tesla doesn’t want to sell the SR right now, but if they
could make money on that version and started listing it and not
“anti-selling” it, I think it would boost sales drastically.

In markets where there are incentives, it would give a lot more people
access to Model 3 with an effective price below $30,000.
[© electrek.co]

+ (v)
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-s-p100d-performance-sets-quarter-mile-record/
Tesla Model S Performance (P100D) refresh sets 1/4-mile record fresh from
the factory
May 26, 2019  Eli Burton, the owner of the Model S Performance, upgraded to
the vehicle from a Model S 75D, which has been his daily driver for years
... before its recent refresh, the Tesla Model S P100D with Ludicrous is an
insanely quick car, capable of matching and even beating supercars on the
quarter mile ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53VAmBesn0o

For EVLN EV-newswire posts use:
 http://evdl.org/archive/