https://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/electric-cars-dont-pose-risk-for-radiation
Electric Cars Don't Pose a Risk for Radiation
Experts agree: There is no unhealthy radiation exposure from EVs.
May 21 2019  Bob Schildgen

Hey Mr. Green,

I have an electric Fiat 500e that I love. I have been hearing flack from
some people saying that electric cars are “radiation boxes” and that the
radioactivity caused by the electric engine is unhealthy. Your thoughts on
this issue?
 —Mary Anne in Encinitas, California

Various authorities ranging from bioengineers to Consumer Reports affirm
that there is no risk of unhealthy radiation exposure from electric
vehicles. The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers studied
radiation near an electric vehicle’s floor and found only 20 percent of the
limit recommended by the International Commission on Non-Ionizing Radiation
Protection. The only precautions I have found are that people with implanted
devices such as cardioverter-defibrillators should avoid getting too close
to the motors or battery packs of electric vehicles when they are generating
a lot of power.

There can be more significant radiation exposure from other forms of travel,
such as flying. About 11 percent of the average American’s total exposure to
radiation can occur on one coast-to-coast flight, according to the Centers
for Disease Control. While this is less than the exposure from one chest
X-ray, some studies indicate that flight crews and frequent fliers have an
elevated rate of many types of cancer.

When it comes to the hazards of car travel, you’re better off focusing on
the basic fact that car crashes remain one of the most common ways people
get hurt in this country, whether the car is powered by polluting gasoline
or squeaky-clean electrons. The National Safety Council estimates that last
year alone, 40,000 people died in car crashes, while a mind-boggling 4.5
million were seriously injured.

[comments ...

Rick Steeb [ https://www.facebook.com/rick.steeb.5 ]
"Electromagnetic radiation" is not the same as "radioactivity". There are no
atomic particles emitted from electic motors or their controllers. Your
chromosomes are perfectly safe.] ...
[© sierraclub.org]

+
https://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20190524/life-features/zero-carbon-electric-transport-is-already-in-reach-for-small-islands.710787
Zero-carbon electric transport is already in reach for small islands
May 24, 2019  We focused on the Caribbean and the rapid progress which is
already underway on the island of Barbados – now the third highest user of
electric vehicles in the ...
https://images.theconversation.com/files/275893/original/file-20190522-187153-1irp4sz.jpg

For EVLN EV-newswire posts use:
 http://evdl.org/archive/