Gail Lucas via EV wrote:
I am seeing that elderly drivers could drive this vehicle on freeways
without using the steering wheel. What I would prefer is a slow speed
vehicle with about 40 mile range that would stop itself without the
driver using the brake pedal. My arms still work but I had to quit
driving when arthritis prevented my leg from moving fast enough to use
the brakes. I drove a 38 MPH Citicar for many years, would be happy with
another like that, with automatic braking.

Gail, have you ever seen or driven an antique EV, like the Detroit or Baker Electric? They used a tiller for steering, and a twist-grip for the throttle on the tiller bar. Rotating the twist-grip forward accelerated ahead; rotating it backwards used regen to slow down, and would then even reverse if you turned it back far enough. They could be driven, steered, and stopped with one hand.

My very first on-road EV test drive was a Detroit Electric. It was very easy to control. I've always felt that was a perfectly viable way to control a car.

--
In software development, there are two kinds of error: Conceptual
errors, implementation errors, and off-by-one errors. (anonymous)