I believe there may be two main reasons:

a) is that they may be waiting the right moment, that will boost other Tesla
news etc. Probably when launching the truck.

b) may be more of a complex software and business strategy to successfully
deploy it among all existing M3 owners and especially EV fleets. Like for
example: updating the car software to show new screens with graphs and
databases with buy/sell schedules while plugged in, similar the phone and web
apps to monitor KWh/$ earned. And of course Including legal just like Lee Hart
mentioned it. I know all commercial ‘grid tie’ products in the market, must
pass certain electrical tests to ensure they can safely disconnect in case of
over/under voltages, changes in frequency, etc.

And I can also see two different approaches: one would be the grid tie service
(I believe this will be the biggest target) and the second will be off-grid to
give the M3 ability to work as a stand-alone AC generator (power blackouts,
camping, etc.)

The firs one could also easily even work without any house electrical
modification, everything thru the L1 or L2 EVSE.

As a power generator, EVSEs would have to be different than actual ones to
‘receive power’ from the M3 before powering AC devices. Or maybe they will come
up with a special AC outlet that will plug right into the charge port.

It could even work like Rivian, to provide charge from one M3 to any other EV
on the road.

With regards the cost, I actually was surprised the way they designed the whole
‘penthouse’ area (how I heard it’s been called); they packaged the onboard
charger and DC-DC converter into one sole PCB, and next the HV contactors and a
‘country/region AC adapter PCB, saving lot of money on individual HV and LV
wiring and connectors, avoiding use of individual cooling loops, coolant hoses
& fittings, mounting brackets and die-cast metal enclosures like most other
OEMs use to do (individually packing each component, find a mounting location
and then interconnect everything)

They used only one piece ‘cold plate’ to remove heat from all hi-pwr
semiconductors, transformers and coils, the design from my point of view was
awesome and the best I’ve ever seen.

Probably the bi-directionally feature may add cost, yes. But all other
improvements and efficient packaging they did seems to me that they beat all
competitors cost over all.

Sent from my iPhone