On 9/14/19 5:32 PM, Dan Baker via EV wrote:
Those high wattage 12v inverters certainly push the limits for something to
melt. A 2 KW model would need 150+ amps to run, certainly no cigarette
lighter socket could provide.  According to my blue sea circuit app, even a
short 3ft cable to the battery should have a 3/0 gauge size!

Also keep in mind the size of cable going from the 12v OEM battery to the OEM's DC2DC converter! Some of them may not be planning on charging the battery at 150 amps ;>

I think a 1500 watt inverter with a continuous load of no more than 1000 watts would be relatively safe. I've certainly heard of people doing that with both the Leaf and Volt.

Jay