>> Glad you found something!

Yeah, me too. I went all around the battery and tested torque on the rest of the 74 bolts, and only found a few that needed an extra foot-pound or two. The threads have been coated with anti-seize, so there is good lubrication, but I'm really gun-shy (wrench-shy?) about pulling down too hard and yanking the threads out of the cell posts. Soft aluminum and copper make me queasy when I have to test the threads. I played it safe and only torqued to 8 ft.lbs. Anyone know the official torque spec on Thundersky's?

>> The leaves do not need to contact each other...

Yes, I did know that, but I had some concern that the ends of the leaves were still a little wrinkly, and might not be flattening enough. Looking at the patterns in the "Bad_Straps.jpg" image, it looks like there was pretty good contact area going on, just not enough pressure.

I guess the good news in all this is I only made one run into town and back with loose hardware, and the cell terminal posts looked fine, in spite of the straps getting a little scorched.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Maybe next I'll launch into a tale about what happens when you short out a pair of series connected Leaf modules by putting the bus bars on wrong (surprising outcome!).