40a x 72v = 2880 Watts of power.
This is 2880 Wh (Watthour) of energy in an hour.
In that hour you go 40 mi, so your efficiency is 2880/40 = 72 Wh/mi
This is very low for an EV, but that is also due to low speed.
At Freeway speed your consumption per mile will be much higher.
My truck can achieve about 15kW at 60 MPH, which means 1/4 kWh/mi.
Most EVs are capable of going 3-5 mi per kWh, which means an efficiency of
between 200-333 Wh/mi. But this is typically spec'ed in mixed driving with
freeway and city driving cycle. In city most EVs shine due to great
efficiency at lower speeds, combined with regen.
Cor.