From: EV [mailto:ev-boun...@lists.evdl.org] On Behalf Of forrest.whitmore
via EV
Sent: Wednesday, December 04, 2019 3:50 PM
To: ev@lists.evdl.org
Cc: forrest.whitmore
Subject: Re: [EVDL] Rear Diff IRS | Direct Drive

Electric Vehicle Discussion List mailing list wrote

> Finally, there is the efficiency advantage of operating at the motor's
> peak
> of the rpm-vs-efficiency curve, which also means less of the energy wasted

> as heat.
>
> I think you probably want to gear your drive so that your motor is
> operating
> at its peak efficiency rpm when you're at your typical cruising speed, and

> so that the top speed you want doesn't exceed the motor's red line.  But
> that's not usually the gearing you get with an ICEV factory differential.

> That's why most single-ratio conversions I know of have either locked the
> stock transmission in a lower gear, or used a custom gearbox.
>
> I expect that a 3.27 final drive with no other reduction would call for
> either absurdly small wheels or a large, heavy, low-rpm motor.  Maybe
> both.
>
> What vehicle are you converting?  Are any other final drive ratios
> available
> for it?  Maybe there's a transaxle from a FWD car you could somehow
> shoehorn
> in?

Thanks for the response David and direction. I worked out the
rpm-vs-efficiency and gearing out in a spreadsheet. A 3.27 diff with no
reduction doesn't work out well at all. I'm going to develop a custom
single-speed gearbox coupled to the rear diff to get the final drive that
works best. Although there's a transaxle for my vehicle, I'd rather optimize
the use of space and gearing in the vehicle.

Forrest Walker Whitmore