I don't know what it might mean for the future of EVs in Japan or the EU,
but Carlos Ghosn has slipped out of Japan despite being under heavily
guarded house arrest.

The story reads like something from a B-movie.  It was supposedly planned by
his Lebanese wife.  He hid in a musical instrument case (maybe a double bass
case?) after a private concert in his house in Japan.  He flew out of a
small local Japanese airport, and arrived in Istanbul via private plane.
>From there he flew to Lebanon, entering with a French passport, even though
all 3 of his passports had been confiscated in Japan.

He's now in Beirut and has released a statement in which he said that he
will "no longer be held hostage by a rigged Japanese justice system where
guilt is presumed."  Lebanon has no extradition treaty with Japan, so he's
probably safe there.

Somehow I doubt that he'll be pushing EVs again any time soon, but I guess
one never knows.

Ghosn was being held in Japan on charges of financial misconduct, including
under-reporting his income and shifting his own personal financial losses to
Nissan.  Some have suggested that he was "railroaded" because Nissan
executives expected him to try to merge Renault, Nissan, and Mitsubishi.

Now we'll probably never know what really happened.

As far as the whole affair's effect on EVs, my guess is that Ghosn's
proposed integration of the Nissan Leaf and Renault Zoe on a common platfrom
may not transpire after all, or at least will be delayed.  In fact the
updated 2020 Zoe is still a separate vehicle.  That's just a guess, though.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator