From: "Justin Kenny" <jkenn...@gmail.com>
To: "Peri Hartman" <pe...@kotatko.com>
Cc: "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
Sent: 19-Apr-20 8:08:10 PM
Subject: Re: Re[2]: [EVDL] custom battery

Well I assumed by disconnect you meant a manual one (e.g. big on/off switch), which would still have to take all the power required through it. That'd be the service disconnect I linked from EV West. The battery management system would control the contactor, which also switches all of the required power for your application, and that would handle over temp, over voltage, under voltage, etc. fault conditions. None of those *should* happen in a well designed system, so it shouldn't need to hard-switch hundreds of amps, but it should be designed to be able to without welding contacts shut or arcing etc., and that's why you need a proper high voltage/high current DC contactor, and not just a big relay that technically can handle hundreds of amps.

- Justin