On 10/13/20 11:34 AM, EVDL Administrator via EV wrote:
Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems to me that this is largely a moot
point unless you plan to never descend from the higher ground.  A well
designed EV should recover a large portion of the additional expended energy
via regeneration on the descent, n'est-ce pas?

Texas has little local changes in elevations. From zero near the Gulf of Mexico up to around 4000' beyond Amarillo to near the NW New Mexico border; that's a distance of ~800 miles. An exception is the Big Bend area along the Mexican border, especially Big Bend National Park which has the Chisos Mountains sticking up around 3000' above the surrounding desert. The Chisos are a prime tourist attraction in the park. I've made Big Bend trips through out my life. The past 6-8 years, only in Teslas. I believe I was the first EV to tour the park a few years ago. I made the mistake of laboriously acquiring a full charge at over 5000' in the Chisos. Not thinking about the need for regen braking but worried about making a charge station some 200 miles distant. Marathon is about the nearest "services" to the Chisos Basin; about 80 miles. Emergency RV park charging can be had in Marathon. On a subsequent trip, I was careful to not charge above 80% in the Chisos Basin. I found I could go over 40 miles toward Marathon before I used any net energy. That is, about 40 miles out, I still had the same state of charge as I had in the Chisos Basin.