Mark Abramowitz via EV wrote:
You may see this on Class 8 trucks on specialized lanes early on -
there is a lot of work going on in this area. It will have a big
impact on goods movement.

We've gone from footpaths, to horses, to wagons, to railroads, to log-paved "corduroy" roads, and now concrete highways with ICE vehicles.

Each step has resulted in a complete paradigm shift in our transportation systems. Each "old" system was almost completely replaced with the "new" one. We have separate sidewalks for foot traffic, trails for horses, roads for cars, railroads for trains, etc.

I suspect something like that needs to happen again to make automous vehicles practical. Just as it's dangerous to walk on a highway or drive your own private vehicle on a railroad, I'm guessing that special lanes or roads need to be built for autonomous vehicles.

Lee

--
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering