From: e...@vanderwal.us
To: "Peri Hartman" <pe...@kotatko.com>; "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
Sent: 03-Dec-20 5:27:50 PM
Subject: Re: [EVDL] 'All's not well with UK public charging' / Autonomy

What kind of emergency?  This is a "restricted" lane, so the only vehicles that
should be there are other vehicles on rails, so they can't go any faster than the one in
front of them.  They can use adaptive cruise to maintain spacing, or even better some
kind of peer to peer network to coordinate their speed as well as entry/exit from the
lane.

As for using the rails for power, I'm not sure you are considering HOW many
batteries it would take to power a semi-tractor trailer rig.  Air resistance is
proba bly over 90% of the energy requirement, switching to rails saves energy,
but less than 10%.
By my calculations each truck will require roughly 1 ton of Li-Ion batteries to
go 100 miles.  To go 500 miles, it would need 5 tons, in addition to 5 tons of
cargo it can't carry, 5 tons of batteries is a LOT.

Using powered rails means they never need to stop to recharge.  Since they
don't have to worry about driving around vehicles, etc. You won't need a driver
when it's on the rails, so even if you dont use autonymous trucks, the drive
can sleep while it's on the rails.  With powered rails the truck only needs
enough batteries to get to/from the highway, 1 ton will probably be sufficient
(since it can charge them while on the rails)