On 05/23/2021 18:16, Peri Hartman via EV wrote:
Somewhat off topic...

For some time, I've been meaning to get a small UPS to power my router, laptop, and other electronics in case of an emergency. Well, our power will be off monday for utility work and so I bought a small UPS. But, I'm disappointed with it.

Most small consumer UPSes are good for 15 - 20 at their rated load (when the battery is new).  Yes, that varies A LOT.  Based on your around 100 WH, that would make it about right for a 250 - 300 VA UPS (a quite small one).  Yes, you can usually connect a larger battery, but be a little careful.  Most of these consumer UPSes were not designed to operate in inverter mode for long periods of time.  As a result, they can't handle the heat from an extended run time at anywhere close to rated load.  Same problem on battery recharge - it is going to be asked the charge for a far longer time than expected so again, heat can be an issue.  Heat is generally not that hard to deal with with some forced cooling, but that may or may not totally mitigate the problem.  This computer is being powered by a 1500VA APC UPS that has about 50AH at 24 volts of external battery, but under worst cast, the load is only about 300 watts.

There are more professional inverters that will happily run forever in invert mode  For example, we are running a bunch of these in a public safety environment at work where they run in invert mode 24x7 essentially forever.  These can also run with AC input in either AC preferred or DC preferred.  Note, this is just the inverter.  You supply the battery plant (we have 3,600 AH at 48 volts in a bunch of places - that's about 5 tons of lead).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C3BKZ2F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

--
73