> On Sep 1, 2021, at 9:53 AM, Willie via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:
>

>> On 9/1/21 10:20 AM, Peri Hartman via EV wrote:
>> It could be that the grid can't handle any significant generation of PV
>> energy. If it could, economics would dictate that excess PV energy would be
>> sold, not shut down.
>>
>> The other possibility is this will produce an incentive to create hydrogen
>> storage for excess PV energy. In my opinion, that's an excellent use for
>> electrolysis plus either hydrogen turbines or fuel cells. Note, for this
>> application, the hydrogen does not need to be compressed.
>

> Speaking without great familiarity with storage costs, I think short term
> battery storage is most likely to solve the problem. Battery stored energy
> can get to the grid for only about a 20% loss while hydrogen, as I
> understand, will be FAR less efficient.
>
> Typically, over production of either wind or PV can be managed with storage
> of well under 24 hours.  We can look forward to continued battery cost
> reductions, especially from Tesla.
>
> For longer term storage, hydrogen might find a niche.

There will soon be more battery storage than we know what to do with. All these
electric vehicles with 200+ mile range will need to replace their batteries
when the range drops below an acceptable level.

These batteries will still be quite useful for grid storage/backup. It doesn’t
really matter how much ground space a battery requires when it is sitting under
a solar array.

When the batteries are depleted enough to no longer be useful for this
application, they are going to be in centralized locations simplifying the
recycling process and they can become new batteries for cars, starting the
cycle all over again.

Ed