I've always had a good laugh at auto-translated texts.
When I just started working at a design center for TV and we came to
the subject of user friendly interface design and user manuals, I was
shown a manual for a Chinese TV that was translated, not automatically
as in that time we barely had the personal PC released, but by a
native Chinese speaker with a Chinese-Dutch (or possibly an
English-Dutch) dictionary. (This was when I still lived there and
worked for a still famous Dutch-based international consumer
electronics company)
One of the first phrases in the "quick start guide" for the TV sounded
something like:
"rotate on the force"
(remember it was in Dutch, so the actual phrase was "draai aan de kracht.")
Anybody any idea what it meant to say before the translation mangled it?
Yep, it meant: Turn on the power.
Literal translated, there were no wrong words.
But a lot of lost meaning.
Just an example that perfectly illustrated the shortcomings of
translations without context in the languages.
Cor.