By no means am I any sort of an expert on this, but I have been following some of the efforts by Oregon to replace/augment/make more equitable the road fuel tax structure, both for EV's and ICE's.

One pilot program was based on annual mileage. The shake-down at the end of the program was that it was unfeasible due to several problems.

1) Reporting of mileage would be an honorary task for owners of older cars that didn't have integrated GPS systems. Add-on GPS devices could be purchased and installed, but the up-front costs didn't appeal to potential participants. I believe that smart phones were proposed as a solution, but... (see #2, below)

2) There was a lot of push-back from drivers who feared that the GPS devices, either integrated in the car's navigation system, or the add-on/phone app, would be used for tracking and potential privacy invasion.

3) There was no reliable way that any GPS could accurately determine if the car was being operated on a public highway or private property. Obviously, if you are racking up miles on Interstate 5, that's beyond question, but what about those fractions of miles that add up off the public streets? My driveway is 1/3 mile long, am I going to have to apply for an exemption for the .6 miles that I drive on my own property each time I go to town?

4) The state doesn't necessarily get 100% of road fuel tax dollars. Some of it goes to the counties where the fuel was purchased, and there are city municipalities that add a local fuel tax on top of the fed and state taxes. The GPS can give a rough picture of where you did your driving, but when it comes down to fractions of a cent times multi-millions of miles, accuracy is demanded. Cities that enjoy a tax base generated by gas purchase would be losing some of that revenue to out-of-town use of the same fuel purchase.

5) The program did nothing to tax itinerant users of roads, tourists, truckers, etc. who don't report mileage to OR. At least the current system catches some of them at a fuel pump before they cross out of the borders.

The only halfway effective way to get road maintenance money out of drivers, is to convert all major thoroughfares to toll roads. Imagine how popular that would be. Still, if there was a drive-on scale at the toll booth, weight could be factored into the toll for a more accurate compensation of road wear. Add detectors for studded tires, and they might be able to make enough easy money to leave us poor EV'sters alone.

Overall, anything much beyond an at-the-pump, per-gallon-fee will be creating a storm of additional accounting and record keeping. My electric bicycle looks better al the time.