On 9 Jul 2022 at 21:13, Cor van de Water via EV wrote:

> Who says you'd need to provide an *automatic* pump?
> Install a hand crank pump that is geared to provide an ounce of gas
> every 5 minutes of hard cranking and you have met the required

Well, you don't have to hand-crank a generator to charge an EV, so that
might not meet the legal requirement for equivalence.

Besides, you don't even need to give them that much fuel in 5 minutes, as
we'll see in a moment.

But I think you're on the right track.

Let's say you provide a free 10kW EVSE.  It (obviously) dispenses 10kWh per
hour.  Ten kWh is the energy yield of 0.29931 gallons of gasoline, or about
4.8 ounces.  So to comply with this law, you'd need a gasoline pump that
dispenses 4.8 ounces of free gasoline per hour, or 0.4 ounces in that 5
minutes you mentioned.

If your store was open from 8am to 10pm daily, that's 14 hours, or 4.19
gallons of gasoline daily, assuming that you had gas-burning customers
connected to your "ICESE" the entire time you were open.

You could handle that by just swinging by the filling station with a 5
gallon can - and about $25 - on your way to the store in the morning.

But you probably wouldn't have to do that often, or for long.  I suspect
that the jacked-up pickup jerks would descend on you and tap your ICESE
daily for maybe a week. Pretty soon they'd get bored and wander off to take
part in the next propaganda-TV-manufactured outrage.

So about 95% of the time your ICESE would sit there in the parking lot,
wasting space and upkeep money.  But you'd be complying with the law!

It seems to me that you could also comply with the law by charging for
charging. I don't know what commercial accounts pay, but here in Ohio I pay
6.57 cents per residential kWh.  How about a coin-operated EVSE for your
customers?  Drop in 3 quarters and you get an hour of charging.  Or charge a
buck and make a profit.

Anyway, let's hope that cooler heads prevail, and they don't actually pass
this infantile temper-tantrum law.

To reach me, don't reply to this message; I won't get it.  Use my

     The problem with the future is that it keeps turning into the
     present.

                            -- Bill Watterson, "Calvin and Hobbes"