> please don't use solar vehicles as a way to mock
> something that is actually stupid.

Once upon a time, passengers crossed the oceans in lighter-than-air craft surrounded by opulent comfort.

Apple and Android have made the Dick Tracy 2-Way Wrist TV a reality.

Flying cars and personal jet-packs, not so much, in spite of functional prototypes.

The point being, not every idea makes sense from the standpoint of practicality and consumer acceptance. I'd much rather travel in a Hindenberg-like conveyance than be sealed up in an oversized aluminum cigar tube supported only by the barest of aerodynamics and lots of thrust, so I guess that's my exception to the rule. Nearly everyone else trades their comfort and dignity for the speed of modern air flight.

I found this out when I built the Pusher trailer for my EV. It worked well for the intended purpose, getting my car long distances to car shows and energy fairs, but it wasn't really practical for everyday driving, and didn't come close to the fuel economy of the diesel-powered model of the same car. As satisfying as it was to build and drive, there was only a fringe acceptance for such a device, so the hybrid fantasy faded away.

Quoting Lee Hart's off-list reply to this topic:
"They are all ideas that are possible; but not practical."

HELP: http://www.evdl.org/help/