> won't have enough cash to grow production at a high rate and be able to
> product [produce] a LOT more vehicles?

No, as I said, and you quoted, I get that. I guess I am bemoaning, generally, the direction that vehicle, and apparently all manufacturing is going.

I know two people who sold lightly-used tractors for more than the original purchase price because those tractors were made before software and emissions controls were imposed on all the new product lines. John Deere and Kubota (to name two) have locked out users from all but the most basic maintenance and aftermarket parts acquisition. The owner of the Kubota was very displeased to find that his new 90 HP replacement tractor required him to operate it in particular ways to satisfy the DEF system, which makes it less useful for his purposes.

Did Ford, Nissan (Datsun) or VW start out making high-end vehicles? I seem to remember that they began with modest offerings and built a reputation and business model based on the merits of their product and at least seemingly honest business models.

Today, we have manufacturers who take the pharmaceutical industries approach, and give the consumer a take-it-or-leave it choice, never stooping to provide for potential customers who neither want nor need more than basic transportation (in the case of EV's, looking at Tesla, Ford, et al). The few that did build and sell useful basic-feature EVs have done pretty will by them, they held up mostly well, were popular (in spite of being ugly, and not in a cute way), and must not have been too much of a revenue loss for an otherwise successful car maker to put out.

In the end, I don't see a trickle-down effect, at least not with the familiar players we have to work with. They seem more likely to continue to produce high-end, high profit products that sell to a significant portion of the population and make them yet more money. Why down-size when you are riding high? Does anybody ~really~ think that they are that altruistic?

NOTE!  NOTE!  NOTE!  NOTE!  NOTE! NOTE!
Due to an overload of spam and other issues, I've decided to deactivate my Juno mail account.
All new messages should be directed to me at: shar...@housetrucks.org
Please update your address book to reflect this change,
I'll continue to check the old account for a short time.

HELP: http://www.evdl.org/help/