Hey Rick
I have a hyper-9 on my 20' pontoon boat and it certainly delivers full
torque off the line.  I am running a "boat" controller file from hyper9 and
it is their stock HV 144v controller that can with it.  I'm running it also
at 160v nominal from a split chevy volt pack.  I have a whole other hyper9
HV kit going in an MGA, interesting to see how it works in a car and hoping
I don't have issues as you describe.
I know the software that comes to setup the hyper9 has quite a few options
so I could try and capture some screens if needed.

Video of my 'toon's holeshot to 20mph.  Full 2 seconds quicker than a 150hp
four stroke on same boat: https://youtu.be/_VqtA0Yoksw

Cheers
Dan