Hi Folks,

I've tried the various recommendations on the Teslamotorsclub.com,
JoeButcrack website etc. to open my Frunk Tesla Y 21' at 10F last night &
release the solenoid/latch.  The Allen wrench didn't work, coat hanger,
crowbar, large screwdriver with cinder-block counterweight, blow dryer,
rebooting computer, removing front bumper 1" pop-out & applying 12V, second
person pushing/pulling (and a few others too silly to mention).

What *did* work was leaving the car facing into the sun at a currently
tropical 26F to gradually heat the frunk over several hours (even though the
blow dryer & jumbo heat gun didn't work last night).  Once the hood opened,
I removed the plastic panel above the latch & drowned the cable-solenoid &
catch mechanism in WD-40.  Now open-close-open-close - yeah.  Moral to the
story: Don't put *anything* important in the frunk especially when below
freezing!  There's a bunch of stories on the net of folks getting to the
*airport* and leaving their suitcase or *meds* in the stuck frunk - then
paying the stealership bigga bucks to fix.

Also last night around 10F with the wind howling, I couldn't open *any* of
the door (cute recessed) *frozen* handles.  The Bolt and Leaf with *normal*
door-handles - no-problemo.  Hot water dumped on the driver's side door
handle fixed that.  It would be nice when designing a car in a warm climate
(like California) to cold test various mechanisms that will be a PITA when
frozen.

Not to point out just negative Tesla stuff - it's our favorite long road
trip car!  Just some nit-picky improvements would be nice; rear windshield
wiper, above, knobs etc.

Have a renewable energy day,

Mark

Mark E. Hanson

184 Vista Lane

Fincastle, VA 24090

540-473-1248 phone & FAX, 540-816-0812 cell

REEVA: community service RE & EV project club

Website: www.REEVAdiy.org (See Project Gallery)

UL Certified PV Installer

My RE&EV Circuits: www.EVDL.org/lib/mh

REEVA Demo:  <http://youtu.be/4kqWn2H-rA0> http://youtu.be/4kqWn2H-rA0

<https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/a88920376f864ecabaed843dd89
75b8d/signature> Fincastle Solar Weather Station