I know a few engineers that are/were at Tesla, and not only did they do
environmental chamber tests, but also Alaska and Death Valley in
winter/summer.   I don't know any other particulars.   However, No amount
of testing can cover every situation of course, and there is a difference
between how a new car acts in extreme environments and how it acts in those
after it's aged somewhat.

I think Tesla made a mistake on the door handles on the Model S, but I'm
pretty happy with the ones on the Model 3 (same as Y).  One easy fix Tesla
could make on these is to add door open command from the app, that way if
the handle is covered in ice, you could still pop the door without even
having to touch it.  The exterior door handles are literally just a switch,
and a grab handle to pull on the door.

If you are a California engineer who has never lived in areas with poor
weather, it's hard to imagine all the requirements as well as one from
Detroit.  I also lived in suburban Detroit in my younger years, so I know
what it's like.  I'm glad I don't live there anymore, and I'm glad I don't
have to engineer automotive closure systems.  =)

I'm glad I live in a good climate, and in the rare instance it's not, I
have a garage.