Sounds like the person who wrote the article didn't do his/her homework... and
that David doesn't know some of Tesla's security enhancements.

Whenever a new driver is added to the Tesla app and is given potential control
of the car, in this case the 'thief', the app lists the new driver, in this case
the 'thief', the new driver, in this case the 'thief' will show up in the
'Security & Drivers' part of the app and the owner of the car will also receive
a notification that there is a new driver, in this case the 'thief'. So
hopefully the owner will be smart enough to realize that he is being conned and
will delete the new driver, in this case the 'thief', and change his password to
the account.

Best regards,

Rush Dougherty
TucsonEV