There was a kind of a Canadian loophole for this as Canada had the same thing
but it was 15 years instead of 25.    So if you could get it into Canada at 15
years old, thenif people didn't look too closely, you could re-import it into
the US as a Canadian vehicle.    B.C used to put on their own VIN over the
manufacturers VIN so you could use this.

Of course it all depended on not asking too many questions or volunteering too
much information.

The whole "US requirements" is more of a personal fiefdom thing than actual
safety requirements.    You could literally import a car over 25 years old
without safety belts, but not be allowedto import a car from France with
airbags that was 24 years old.     I think the auto manufacturers actually like
controlling the market this way anyway instead of having a global standard.

   On Thursday, April 25, 2024 at 03:13:30 PM PDT, Kevin Horton via EV