Bryce,
If you are up for a gamble: the following is a cheap pack from a '13 after
the change to a better chemistry, so it may or may not have a better range,
depending how it was treated.
Alternative is buying qualified cells on Ebay
And if you really want a range boost, a 40 or 64kWh pack from a '18 or
later. to make that swap, you need to also install a CAN bridge to
translate the '11 Leaf speech into something the '18 pack understands and
vice versa. I did this after I found a 64kWh pack, then searched Craigslist
for the cheapest Leaf with the worst battery degradation, so now that 2012
has 230 mi range iso the 22 when I picked it up with 100k on the ODO, now
140k because I have a 90+ mi round trip commute.
One last thing: you do not need to use EVERY mounting hole to keep the pack
in place, the rear brackets are pretty worthless and do not fit, so I left
them off.
The center bolt hole on the sides are shifted, you can make a Z bracket to
reuse those positions.
For other positions you need longer bolts, so I simply ordered a bag of
metric bolts with the right thread size that are 40mm longer than original.
Last thing is the control plug for the newer packs, there are 2 locations
on a 2013+ Leaf where you can find this connector in case you want to
pick-n-pull: on the front of the battery pack and at the back of the top
unit in the motor control stack.
Some cutting and splicing and weather proofing of the control connector;
the CAN bridge I recommend installing in the center console, where the
control wiring from the battery has already entered the car, so no
weaterproofing needed (I saw some installs w the bridge in the tunnel under
the car, not a great spot. Even in California we do get rain and muck on
the streets.
For great support, become sponsor of Dala in Finland and he can help w the
CAN bridge programming.
Cor.


On Mon, Sep 28, 2026, 9:44 PM Bryce Nesbitt via EV <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Well, it's probably time.
> The old battery is toast.
> The range is about 30 miles by the GOM and less in real life
> 54,200 miles.  No other problems, other than a bad baby sensor in the
> passenger seat.
>
> What are 2011 Leaf Battery options?  These days.
>
> I see:
> https://greentecauto.com/locations/bay-area-ca/
> Greentech auto is advertising $4,499.00 installed.
> We're not looing for long range, just.... some regen would be nice.a
> _______________________________________________
> Address messages to [email protected]
> No other addresses in TO and CC fields
> HELP: http://www.evdl.org/help/
> OT: If you use an Android device, please read https://keepandroidopen.org/
>
_______________________________________________
Address messages to [email protected]
No other addresses in TO and CC fields
HELP: http://www.evdl.org/help/
OT: If you use an Android device, please read https://keepandroidopen.org/

Reply via email to