For an example of an award that's strictly based on popularity, see
http://shortyawards.com/about/ the Shorty Awards , recently held by the
Twitter folks.  A hybrid solution would be to have a people's choice award
in each category for the most popular, but have judges make the final call
for the canonical awards.

Karl